The Ripping Friends - Part 1

I left a design job to work on this show. John Kricfalusi's "The Ripping Friends" was a promising project and I was ready for a change of venue. So off to the Red Rover Studio I went. It was also being directed by a good friend of mine, Riccardo Durante. I always enjoy working with Rick.

Here are a few poses I did for a layout. These guys weren't easy to draw. John made it look easy. His poses of the characters were unbelievably awesome. This was my attempt at Crag.....

This was a prop for a show called Frictor. I liked this episode a lot.

This was a graphic for the box lid, the above machine came in. I used an old 50's toy box lid as reference ,.......if it looks familiar.

The rough layout below was the building housing the sewing room, which of course was filled with huge, impossibly complex machines. I designed the interior as well.

Here's an example of how I like to work. I do a rough thumbnail and blow it up on the photo-copier. Then I work out some of the issues that need to be resolved in the thumbnail to create a rough layout. I was doing the designs for these locations in the layout stage so the establishing shots, and various complicated interiors were handled by me.


I'm going to down load some more artwork from the show later on. This show was a lot of hard work but fun and it forced me to draw in a style I hadn't done before. I always like to push myself out of my comfort zone. It's usually when I can do my best work.

Comments

Popular Posts